Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sweet of the Week: Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Round number two....and I was seeing RED! (that was lame, I apologize). I decided to make one of my favorite cupcakes of all time, red velvet, with a delicious cream cheese frosting to top it off. Here's how it all went down:

The ingreeds: Things of note: Recipe called for white vinegar and buttermilk. I use a dry buttermilk mix you can combine with water.

 The dry ingredients: Do NOT mix in baking soda with them like I almost did. That comes at the very end.

 The "Red" paste: Made with cocoa powder, red food coloring, and little water.


 The sugar and softened butter. Add the eggs one at a time, then vanilla.

Add the red paste, then the dry ingredients to the batter.
*Okay so, this recipe instructed that, right before assembling the cupcakes, to combine the white vinegar and baking soda. I did that, it started to fizz, weird me out, and I'm not really sure what effect this had on the cupcakes. I'll have to google it.

(I forgot to put in pictures of them going in/coming out of the oven, but you know how that works anyway.) Bake for 20 min at 350, rotating the pan at 10 min. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then cool completely and frost!



Since I am still a novice baker, I "piped" my cupcakes using a plastic bag and cut a small corner of the bag at a diagonal angle. It was pretty messy, and I ended up having more cupcakes than frosting, but I was pretty impressed overall with my finished product! They have a sincerely "velvety" texture, and the flavor was amazing. The cream cheese frosting on top was a very simple, four-ingredient recipe (powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, and cream cheese) and justs tastes RIGHT on top of that cupcake. I found the cupcake recipe on this blog and the cream cheese frosting recipe from this site. For all red velvet cupcake lovers, these are definitely recipes to try!
Until next time!


1 comment:

  1. Sammie - love the red velvet cupcakes can't wait to make them - your favorite mother-in-law!

    ReplyDelete